Atfaluna Society for Deaf Children, is a registered Palestinian NGO located in Gaza City, has been working in the field of persons with hearing disabilities education and allied services since 1992. Literally thousands of deaf children and adults and their families are served annually at Atfaluna through persons with hearing disabilities education, audiology, speech therapy, income generating programs for the deaf, vocational training, parents', teachers’ and community training and awareness programs, and a host of other services and programs.
The organisation currently employs 134 permanent staff members of which 55% are persons with hearing disabilities. Atfaluna’s services focus on serving persons with hearing disabilities in particular and the community in general. This focus comes in light of the inclusive development approach Atfaluna adopts to create an inclusive environment for persons with disabilities within an all-inclusive environment free of limitations.
Respect of human rights is a key component throughout the organisation. Atfaluna adopts the Convention of International Human Rights and International Laws as well as Palestinian laws in this regard. Due to this Atfaluna has developed several policies which guarantee equal rights for everyone and has worked on adopting it and publicizing it to organisations working in the field. It has also developed practical procedures to guarantee accomplishment and a comprehensive complaint system; among these policies are:
- Child protection policy
- Neutrality and non-discrimination policy
- Conflict of interest policy
- Anti-corruption policy
Atfaluna considers itself a learning organisation, it believes in the principle of change, it continuously works to modify its techniques and train its staff to keep up with changes and trends within the charity sector, administrative, financial, social, psychosocial, educational and vocational in line with world visions and keeping with the Palestinian setting.
The family environment at Atfaluna and close social bonds and high dedication and commitment which ties the Atfaluna staff together makes Atfaluna stand out as an exceptional model for the work of NGOs who continue to serve their communities regardless of difficulties and challenges.
A Palestinian disability inclusive society where persons with disabilities enjoy their full rights.
Atfaluna Society for Deaf Children is a non-profit organization that endeavors to empower persons with hearing disability as well as persons with other disabilities in the Gaza Strip and improve their quality of life within a disability-inclusive development framework.
Improve the quality of life of children and adults with hearing disabilities through the provision of quality education, health, and social services and creation of equal job opportunities for them.
- Provision of an educational environment suited to the needs and outlook of students with hearing disabilities
- Development of the life skills of people with hearing disabilities
- Building employability skills of youth with disabilities
- Support to early intervention services and early identification of hearing problems
- Awareness raising of local community towards people with hearing disability
- Organizing advocacy campaigns to support the rights of people with disabilities
- Reinforcing inclusive development approach in all services offered by the organisation to persons with disabilities
- Ongoing development of staff capacities to ensure best results are continuously achieved
The Society’s Main Services and Programs:
- Inclusive Academic Education at the Atfaluna School (Pre-School, kindergarten, preparatory school serving 250 children)
- Audiology and Speech Pathology (hearing screening outreach, audiological diagnosis, hearing aid fitting including ear-mold making and hearing aid repair, early intervention, speech/ language development)
- Inclusive Technical and Vocational Education and Training (furniture making, sewing, embroidery, culinary arts, jewellery making, shoe making, photography, graphic design, hairdressing, etc.)
- Inclusive Crafts Production (Atfaluna Crafts, Atfaluna Furniture, Atfaluna Kitchen)
- Food Catering and Hall Rental.
- Advocacy, Lobbying, and Networking for the rights of persons with disabilities
- Community Education and Awareness (sign language training courses, job counselling, better parenting, inclusive cultural and education events, literacy and numeracy training, child safeguarding, awareness materials, etc.)
- Psychosocial (social work and counselling, debriefing sessions, psychosocial material and guides, recreational activities, emergency response, etc.)