The Atfaluna Crafts production unit was established in the year 1998 commencing in a room producing a small number of embroidery pieces. Gradually and with time the one room production has developed into an entire unit consisting of five main departments working within a well established production system. The crafts production unit employs 51 employees most of which are deaf and tens of deaf and marginalized women employed within the work from home program.
Before commencing work within the different departments the employees were enrolled in a number of vocational training courses including carpentry, paining on wood, sewing, embroidery, rug weaving, pottery production and design. The deaf showed remarkable talent and commitment in designing the handicraft pieces which led to the establishment of the permanent handcrafts production units at ASDC.
Aim of the Program: Empowering deaf youth and improving their quality of life through vocational training and job creation.
The crafts production unit consists of five main departments working within a well defined production system:
• Carpentry and wood working department
• Sewing and embroidery department
• Fabric and rug weaving
• Paining on wood
• Pottery production and design
Stages of production:
• Design: each department is responsible for the product design of its products; a specialized team of employees put together creative new ideas linking between Palestinian tradition and modern designs. A sample of the new idea is made and viewed by customers who give their opinion on color, shape and texture.
• Production: new designs and orders are processed by the production team who prepare the raw materials required to complete the order and proceed in preparing the order with utmost accuracy and care. The pieces produced include women’s clothing, decorative items and furniture pieces.
• Marketing and Sales: the beautifully produced hand crafts are sold in Atfaluna’s permanent showroom located in the ASDC premises. The products are sold locally as well as internationally via Atfaluna’s online product catalogue. In the year 2013 Atfaluna launched its furniture showroom which sells hand crafted furniture pieces including dining rooms, living rooms, guest rooms, etc. All the items available in the showroom are produced by deaf artisans. All proceeds of sales are re-invested into the society to contribute towards covering expenses of the production unit.